a few words…

On a bag for those who don’t know what to use a bag for. A couple of flowers on the back for some frivolity. Calico for the outer and a remnant of blackout curtain fabric for the lining. This will go on sale at the Red Cross shop this week.


hoots man!

Having lots of fun with free-motion this week.

Raw edge applique on cotton.
Free-motion scarecrow coloured with Inktense blocks.

handy tote bags

I did two more applique pieces to complement the two pieces I showed in the previous post and then turned them into two tote bags. The little hen is supposed to be carrying a suitcase!

applique fun

I stitched these two free-motion appliques yesterday to be the front and back of one tote bag but I now think it would be better for each applique to be on a separate bag with a complementary image on the reverse side. Time to look through my scraps again.

Appliqued rooster approx 10″ x 10″ (25 x 25 cm)
Appliqued dog head approx 7″ x 7″ (18 x 18 cm)

free motion fun

I had lots of fabric scraps already fused to Bondaweb so I used some of them to make these fun houses then free motion stitched them to the background. When I began, I didn’t consider what I might do with them. Maybe a long pouch or a small wall hanging. Each ‘street’ is approx 8 x 5 inches (20 x 13 cm). They’re a bit very rough and ready but I like them.


dogs and birds

I’ve been in the mood to sew since last Friday so I cut out some little dogs and birds, added fusible batting to white fabric, and then appliqued the dogs and birds. My original intention was to make mug rugs but a couple of drawstring bags might be more saleable in the Red Cross shop. The bags are made from denim and each has a dog on one side and a bird on the other, colour co-ordinated purely by chance. Size is approx 7″ (18cm) square.

playing footsy, sort of

Rather than toss away all those oddly shaped fiddly scraps of felt I’ve been keeping, I free-motion appliqued a load of them into what might become something useful another day. I removed the paper from a piece of Madeira Washaway Avalon Fix and pinned it to some calico, adhesive side up, then added the felt scraps in a very random manner.

I was really testing a new embroidery/free-motion/darning/call-it-what-you-will presser foot. I know, I know, I have several more than enough already of these feet but this one had the largest transparent plate that I had ever come across – approximately 2 cm square! And yes, I did my usual tweak of inhibiting the hopping action (which I cannot abide) and then I modified it further by increasing the viewing area with the addition of a piece of yoghurt carton plastic reckoning that this might allow for even teeny tiny pieces of felt to be stitched without being moved or catching on the foot edge which is often what happens. It was reasonably successful. The smallest piece I measured was less than 0.5 cm long.

Here’s the new foot in its original state, then after the hopping tweak, and lastly with the yoghurt carton addition. 

I didn’t measure the extra plastic before cutting it and it probably doesn’t need to be quite as large as 8 x 7 cm, and if my centre cutout was a smaller round hole (I had used a paper hole-punch), it would be less likely to lift the  points of the smallest pieces when they are not adhered to the ground fabric beforehand. I expect those will be my next tweaks. Honestly, you’d think I had nothing better to do all day.