what once was lost …

I am busy stitching a couple of pieces that will likely become gifts so I won’t be showing those for a while yet but to prove I’m still here I thought I’d show you this piece that I stitched way back in 2003 and which was missing for several years until last week when I found it safely tucked away with other bits and bobs. I like old travel posters and they make ideal subjects for interpretive embroidery. This one is a french railway poster advertising the Gulf of Morbihan in Brittany. The embroidery’s looking a little fragile so I intend to have it framed as soon as I get the call to say that my other pieces are ready for collection from the framer.

tree poster

Sunday stitches

The tissue holders are now made and I prefer the one with the children on it. I used sew-in interfacing on the blue fabric and lined it with quilting cotton which has given it a little more substance than the birdy one. The birdy version was lined with more of the outer fabric and is much softer. The pouch itself seems a little baggy but if I’d made it any smaller it might have been difficult to put the tissues into it. Because I hadn’t measured exactly where to place the children (duh!), they didn’t match up equally to the edge when folded in so I made that one as an open pouch but I think it’s much better and it shows off the lining nicely.

 

holders

 

The floral panel was made to liven up the front of an otherwise extremely boring lightweight canvas shopper. I ironed freezer paper onto polycotton fabric then cut them to A4 size before printing the design in greyscale. I stitched it to a larger piece of identical fabric so that there would always be fabric in the hoop as I moved it around when free-motion embroidering. Trimmed to size when finished and edged with some satin ribbon. Something to do on a wet and windy Easter Sunday!

DSCF4132

jumping ship

Soooo long since I last posted!
At the beginning of the month I spent a week with big sis and she was delighted with Dave in Stitches which has now been framed and was waiting to be wall hung when I left.

 
Having waxed lyrical over the Bernina 215 after its purchase last July, I have had almost nine months to gradually change my mind. Don’t get me wrong – the 215 is a great little workhorse and it’s been just fine in general, but in recent months I’ve come to hate the vertical bobbin feed and the lack of stitch selection. I admit it, I made a serious error of judgement when I bought it. After researching on the net and trying a model or two, I jumped ship  nearly two weeks ago and part-exchanged the 215 for a Janome Memory Craft 5900QC. I’m happy once more. (Know anyone who needs 40 Bernina bobbins and a couple of feet?)

 
In a moment of madness, big sis and I decided to have a monthly sewing challenge. We’ve compiled a list of themes which we can interpret as we see fit. It must involve stitchery but any kind using any medium is acceptable and the finished article must be no bigger than A4 (minus a 1″ border all round).

 

This month’s theme was ‘showers’. My first ‘showers’ interpretation did not turn out as well as I had anticipated and has therefore been consigned to a dark cupboard, never to see the light of day again. It was a shame because my initial drawings led me to think that my idea would translate very nicely into free form machine embroidery with some hand sewn embellishment, but alas it did not. In the end I used it as a practice piece and got to know the Janome with it. Time was running out however but when I came across this illustration I thought that I might manage to do it some kind of stitchery justice and answer the brief. I kept it simple with machined appliqué and both hand and free motion machine embroidery. Next month’s challenge is flowers…
showers

more machine embroidery

Yesterday’s machine embroidery effort on cotton, A4 size. I have no idea what I’ll do with this. I expect it will simply join the ranks of the other things I’ve made recently that I also have no idea what to do with.

The original book was The Ancient Mariner, and the cover artist was Willy Pogany, a Hungarian illustrator of children’s and other books. Sorry about the crap image (again!).