2nd last course sample

This sample was for the module on hand stitch appliqué in which we develop patterns. I posted this to the Facebook group page earlier this week but I’ve only just realised that I fused the shapes to the background fabric instead of hand stitching them. Just as well there is no pass or fail for this course! Only one more sample to make before all the modules are complete.

applique portrait pt2

Gosh, this course module class seems to have taken the longest time to do but I’m happy with the end result. Stitches used were back stitch and straight stitch, with buttonhole stitch only to appliqué the red pinafore because the wool cloth frayed badly.  I re-stitched all the face in a brown thread, finer than the black I’d used when stitching through the tissue paper (see previous post) and the lighter thread colour and closer stitching enabled me to put in more detail. I have to confess that I’ve given my mother brown eyes here instead of the blue that they really were but if I hadn’t told you, you’d never have known. Call it artist licence. Size is approx 12 x 17 cm. I’m off now to write up my notes for this module, put this little portrait with my other samples, and then have a look to see what’s next on Sue Stone’s online course which is almost at an end!

having fun with stitches

These two little portraits were for a drawing class in the online course, using back stitch or running stitch instead of pen or pencil. A photo is traced and the outline is stitched through the paper and the ground fabric with the paper gently torn away when all the stitching is completed. Tissue paper is more flexible than tracing paper and easier to stitch through but you have to ensure that your stitches are fairly tight. My first portrait using mainly running stitch wasn’t tight enough and I ended up with lots of raised stitches but I like the resultant shadow/loop effect in unexpected places. In the second portrait I used back stitch mainly and tightened the tension and the final look is different again. I was really surprised when my camera automatically recognised these as faces. If any family members recognise these two portraits I’ll be delighted!

 

a fox finished

The fox is finished and some of you may recognise him from Johanna Basford’s Enchanted Forest colouring book which I bought purely as a source of inspiration for embroidery projects and not for colouring in – I’d hate to spoil the book! A little bigger than A4 size, my stitched version is roughly twice the size of the book image. As soon as he was finished, I re-hooped the tulips piece and spent a couple of hours in the evening stitching a petal or two.

 

fox

a fox

Two areas of my current embroidery piece. It might not be too obvious from these images that it’s a fox I’m stitching but it will be when you see the whole thing in a future post. The maroon coloured fabric top right is there to protect the completed stitches and keep the calico clean and is not part of the embroidery. Better quality images next time!

fox embroidery 1

fox embroidery 2

the redhead

I’ve been working on this little redhead for the past couple of days and I really like everything about her – even her outrageous nose!

redhead portrait

Coriander

Coriander was finished early evening yesterday but the photos I took were worse than the stitching. I find white on white difficult to photograph well so you’ll just have to settle for this one, taken a few minutes ago which is marginally better than yesteday’s efforts:

DSCF4022

Only one more project to do now – Pennyroyal, and after that I’m going to have a loooong rest from stitching flowers and leaves.