linear face

A little linear fun today.

 

DSCF5230-1

heads and more heads

I’ve begun more stumpwork heads since the completion of portrait no.3 but I’ve discarded all of them.  They all start off quite well but then I wonder what difference another type of padding would make or if more padding would make better cheeks, or if I should shape the padding first or choose different stitches for the facial features or, or, or. Really, I’m striving to find a method of constructing stumpwork heads that’s my own and that works for me first time, all the time. I don’t want the heads that I make to be identical to what I see in a book. They haven’t been so far of course, because I’ve used different stitches for the features and shaped them differently and the basic pattern is only the starting point. I’ll end up with portraits that are an amalgamation of methods derived from the stumpwork and doll books that I own, things I find online, my own imagination and skills, and in the end no-one will care how I got there, not even me. A bit like life itself really.

DSCF8062

Here’s a little preview of the stumpwork that I’ve been working on this week. She’ll be full length if all goes according to plan. DSCF8065

second portrait

This lady is the companion piece to the first portrait and was stitched yesterday but today is her first public outing. Just need to buy those oval frames now.

DSCF8026

distance provides a solution

Distance in more ways than one provided the stumpwork solution. I did begin another embroidery project last night so that was distance of one kind from the problem and this morning while bemoaning to Big Sis that I couldn’t figure out how to finish Beryl’s friend, a solution came to me, so here’s Doris, having had a shampoo and set and now trying to look all poshed up in her pearls:

DSCF4091

interval

On Tuesday I’d finished sewing another stumpwork face but several attempts at dressing the neckline have all been discarded so it’s been put to one side until I get a lightbulb moment.

On Wednesday from the library in town I borrowed 4000 Flower and Plant Motifs, A Sourcebook, by Graham Leslie McCallum. Yeah, yeah, I know I recently most vehemently stated that it would be a long long time before I embroidered any more plants, flowers, or leaves but I had to be busy with something stitchy while I mull over the stumpwork glitch so here’s an interpretation of a Chinese tree illustrated in the book. The ground fabric is a scrap of furnishing fabric, rather than calico which is my usual fabric of choice.

Of course, I’m now in the same place I was before I started this tree but I expect that I’ll begin and finish a few more pieces yet before I solve my stumpwork dilemma.DSCF4087