magnifier cover

I am unable to embroider the Victorian Street crewel work piece whilst seated on the sofa because the frame is wide and it’s just awkward to turn it over in a restricted space, but I wanted something to stitch in the evening so I made a cover for a magnifier I recently acquired. Two of the pieces from Sachiko Morimoto’s book Stumpwork Flowers embroidered way back in March/April 2014 were used for the outer cover and the lining is a synthetic batting which should protect the glass well. One flower on the cover is watercress and the other is viola.  This evening I might add some fancy stitching along the seam as I think it looks a bit plain. I only ever framed one of the completed flowers from the book and the rest have been in a cupboard since. Three down, fifteen to go. Any ideas on what to do with them?

paper posies

I had a notion to make some flowers this week from paper instead of embroidering them. I have two books on making flowers but I didn’t have the patience to colour and then stiffen any silk fabric so of course I scoured the internet and having watched a pair of beautiful hands on You Tube make fabulous flowers of all kinds, I expected to be able to make a few passable versions with the crepe paper that I bought from a local stationers. Wrong. More times than not, when I gently twisted my paper as per the demo, it ripped. Turns out that there are two grades of crepe paper – the kind I bought in my local stationers and florist crepe paper which is much more flexible and stronger but is more expensive and only available online. Hmmm. I then remembered that I had lots of paper twist, which I bought for a long forgotten project many years ago. It wasn’t as flexible as I would have liked it to be but the results were acceptable. I have zero floral arranging skills so I won’t be showing any of the other flowers that I made, only these two little posies. No need to set myself up for further ridicule is there?

Kardinal garden 3

Roses finished and love-in-a-mist begun.

kardinal-garden-3

a little meadow and some legs

I’ve been working on this little 7″ x 5″ meadow for several weeks just doing a few stitches at a time as it’s impossible to do much more when you need to read sub-titles on the television but I think it’s done now. Calico for the ground fabric as usual. I mixed acrylic paints with medium to turn them into fabric paints but I’m not sure what benefit if any was gained by doing so. I think the calico would have taken the colour just as easily without the addition of the medium.

meadow

I used this excellent free pattern to make a couple of chicks as a start for lots more to use in a future window display and then had a session of just making legs using various wire gauges and construction methods as practice for a much larger bird I had in mind to make. The big bird is not made from fabric and there’s no stitching involved but it’s not quite finished so all you get today is chicks studying the results of the leg making practice.

legs

 

old mixed media piece

Humpty Dumpty isn’t quite finished so I thought I’d just show you something I did a long time ago and which hangs on a wall in Big Sis’s home. Nowadays I take photographs of nearly everything that I make but back then it just wasn’t thought of. Not having to consider the cost of film nowadays makes it easy to snap away at will and when I was last in Scotland I realised that I had no other record of this little piece but this is the best image I could get due to the reflections off the glass. It’s approximately A5 size and it’s a mixture of stumpwork, hand embroidery, stiffened fabric leaves and flowers, a little faint colouring on the fabric for sky, and handmade garden tools. It’s based on a black and white illustration in Thomasina Beck’s book, The Embroiderer’s Garden which I bought the same year I did this piece. I’m visiting Big Sis next week so I might try to take a better image of this garden scene but then again, I might be too busy taking pictures of Jasper instead!

garden embroidery

 

floral fun piece

I had some fun yesterday making this jug of flowers wall hanging from fabric remnants bonded to the background with Heat n Bond lite then free-motion machine appliquéd. 13 x 20 inches approx.

floral jug

a fox

Two areas of my current embroidery piece. It might not be too obvious from these images that it’s a fox I’m stitching but it will be when you see the whole thing in a future post. The maroon coloured fabric top right is there to protect the completed stitches and keep the calico clean and is not part of the embroidery. Better quality images next time!

fox embroidery 1

fox embroidery 2