workbox #8 pin cushion

I’ve always thought it daft to spend time embroidering a pincushion just to ruin it by sticking pins and needles into it but since a pincushion is included in the Home Sweet Home workbox accessories, I’m making one anyway although I’ve never made one like this before. The intention is that the lesser embroidered side will be the top. I’ve basted the segments but the pincushion has to be put together and stuffed before they’re sewn permanently.

Pincushion from the Home Sweet Home workbox book.

 

 

 

 

workbox #3 base

I haven’t done much on the workbox recently except prepare fabric for the accessories and embroider this frame on the base. Something like “Workbox made and embroidered in 2018” will be stitched within the frame but I can’t decide whether to stitch upper or lower case letters so I’ll put it aside for now and get started on the accessories.

In the image you can also see my new needle minder. I was lucky enough to be chosen recently to road test it by Marlous, who writes the blog The Stitching Sheep.  The needle minder is a sweet little wooden one with an extremely powerful magnet and easily holds my embroidery scissors as well as needles. I believe Marlous will be selling the needle minders later this year but even if you’re not in the market for one, her blog is worth a long browse.

camera, orchard and Alice

For a few months now my camera has been showing intermittently that the card is protected although it’s not. My solution was to remove the card and re-insert it but last weekend it showed ‘card protected’ no matter what I tried or which card was inserted. It’s now away for investigation and in the meantime I’ve only got my phone camera or an older camera with batteries that don’t hold the charge for very long so any images here for a while will be even poorer than normal.

The orchard embroidery has been partially unpicked but not re-stitched so far. The absence of any comments on the orchard suggests that anyone who reads this blog agreed with me about the general bleh-ness of the piece and was just too polite to say so. That’s quite alright. I put it to one side while I made more chicks but I didn’t take any more chick pictures before handing them over for the shop window display. The latest ones are almost identical to the first ones anyway so you’re not missing anything by not having a picture to look at today.

I’ll soon be off to Beyond Up North (aka Scotland) and because much of my time there may be spent indoors, I wanted to take a long-term embroidery piece with me so I’ve chosen the John Tenniel illustration Painting the Roses Red from Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. Calico again for the ground fabric (what else!) and some background colouring done with Inktense blocks and wax crayons. After starting to stitch the leaves with satin then fishbone stitch and deciding that neither looked right, I’ve settled for fly stitch.

autumn garden 6

The final installment. Finished size 9″ x 4″ approx. I’m not happy with some of it but doubt that I’ll unpick and re-sew those bits. The fabric was OK to embroider on but I seem to get better results with calico so I’ll no doubt revert to that for the next piece, whatever that might be.

 

autumn-garden-6

autumn garden 5

On the last leg now and if I don’t finish it this evening, it will be nearly a week before I can add any more as I’m off to do some painting away from home this coming week.

autumn-garden-5

autumn garden 4

This time round it’s nerine, rosehips, cyclamen, autumn crocus, hydrangea, colchicum and chamomile that have been stitched. This evening a start will be made on the other side of the arch.

autumn-garden-4

autumn garden 3

Not the best quality image I’m afraid but all I could do in the available light. French lavender, easter daisies (aka michaelmas daisies), and button chrysanthemums now completed.

autumn-garden-3