fast piece applique

Ever on the lookout for something new to try, I was browsing through my Quilting Arts book and found Rose Hughes writing on how to fast piece appliqué a landscape quilt and realised that I had watched her YouTube video on the technique a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTsSR6efCks. Her method looked fairly easy so with the the book to hand yesterday, I gave it a go.

quilted leaf

Rose recommends that the shapes are simplified but obviously I didn’t heed her advice since there isn’t a simple shape to be seen in my leaf. Freezer paper is used for the shapes template and this remains on the pieces even when overlapping one piece to another and also when stitching them together. My iron was certainly well used yesterday! The raw edges are trimmed back on the top only and once all the pieces are stitched together, the stitching lines are couched over with fancy yarns to hide the raw edges. Still with me? The video makes more sense! I don’t do fancy yarns so I just pinned my trimmed and stitched leaf to the background and then free machine stitched along each join, followed by double thread satin stitching to cover the mess I made of the first stitching.

Not having pieced a quilt in the traditional way I’m in no postion to critique Rose Hughes’ method but I’m glad I tried it and particularly glad that my leaf ( approximately 12″ x7″) wasn’t any smaller but I’m not sure that I’d use this method again. My first go-to these days tends to be fusible web which leaves a neater edge for satin stitching over if I want to.

 

 

Pretty parrot 3

I stitched two more detached wings today and this, the third, is the best of the bunch. The parrot body has been padded and is ready for stitching but I can see more practice stitching on the horizon before I’m happy with the shading. The padding is felt, ironed to organza with double-sided fusible web. The organza prevents the needle pulling felt fibres through to the surface but I’ve not tried this method before. When I stitched the tansy, I ironed freezer paper to the felt before cutting out the shapes and the residual glue of the paper was sufficient to stop the fluff. Either that or I ironed the acrylic felt at too high a heat and that sealed it!

DSCF7053

DSCF7052

Sunday stitches

The tissue holders are now made and I prefer the one with the children on it. I used sew-in interfacing on the blue fabric and lined it with quilting cotton which has given it a little more substance than the birdy one. The birdy version was lined with more of the outer fabric and is much softer. The pouch itself seems a little baggy but if I’d made it any smaller it might have been difficult to put the tissues into it. Because I hadn’t measured exactly where to place the children (duh!), they didn’t match up equally to the edge when folded in so I made that one as an open pouch but I think it’s much better and it shows off the lining nicely.

 

holders

 

The floral panel was made to liven up the front of an otherwise extremely boring lightweight canvas shopper. I ironed freezer paper onto polycotton fabric then cut them to A4 size before printing the design in greyscale. I stitched it to a larger piece of identical fabric so that there would always be fabric in the hoop as I moved it around when free-motion embroidering. Trimmed to size when finished and edged with some satin ribbon. Something to do on a wet and windy Easter Sunday!

DSCF4132