out of thyme

Well, that’s Golden Thyme stitched. I don’t like the whip stitch around the leaves – it looks like I did it with my eyes shut but the book illustration leaves look much the same so perhaps I achieved what Shachiko intended in her design. Watercress is next, with seeds in a pod. Should be interesting!

DSCF3087

leaves and more leaves

Normally I’d work through one piece of embroidery from start to finish but after I made all seven stumpwork leaves for Golden Thyme on Saturday, I wanted a rest from using the magnifying light so I stitched the appliqu├ęd French knot slips for Apple Mint and then returned to Turkey knotting in Santolina. Yesterday I sewed for hours looking through the magnifying lamp while I made the two-colour stumpwork leaves for Apple Mint and was so pleased with how they turned out I just kept going until the whole piece was finished. Once again, even though I had the same DMC thread numbers that the book lists, they didn’t look the same so I chose my own colour palette which I think looks minty enough to be acceptable.DSCF3074

 

Thyme and Dill

The Golden Thyme leaves were causing me much grief and a great deal of silent cursing so I moved onto Dill, with an abundance of theraputic french knots and some wire wrapping. Quick, easy and enjoyable.

DSCF3059
There are eight leaves in the Golden Thyme project, all wired and needlelaced and you can see from the ruler showing centimetres in the photo below how small they are. The larger leaves are supposed to be constructed in a way that suggests veins but as you can see in (a), I hardly succeeded. I had already ripped out two previous starts and the cursing would have been vocal but for Big Sis being in the room with me. At that point I thought I might just not do Golden Thyme at all but that seemed like a cop-out so I then tried free-motion machine embroidery over a layer of organza and water soluble fusible web (b below), but although it looks more like a leaf, it’s not quite in keeping with the rest of the design. At that point I went away and did non-stitchy things for a while and then started on Dill but I didn’t want to be defeated by a few bits of wire and thread so I went back to the leaves, attempting one which doesn’t need to show veins (c below). This was more successful than (a), even though it’s smaller and therefore should have been trickier to sew. Perhaps I was just in the right place mentally. I haven’t finished all the whip-stitching around the edge which is why you can still see wire in places but that will be done in no time. I started on Santolina late yesterday afternoon and that’s nearly done but today I will make time to sew more thyme leaves and hopefully improve my technique before too long.

thyme leaves