September flower 2

Here’s another free-motion machine-embroidered flower for September, based on the knapweed flower. As a practice piece after testing different machine settings and stitches, it was extremely useful. One layer of thin poly-cotton fabric was backed with medium weight iron-on dressmaker’s interfacing and then hooped before stitching.  Unfortunately, the wrinkles and puckers worsened as I increased the length of the stems and added a couple of leaves so I unpicked the leaves and shortened the stems but it didn’t satisfactorily cure the puckers. It could have been the stitch length or tension or the direction of the fabric weave or stitches, too thin a fabric, or a multitude of other reasons. Time to consult a book or two.

another flower

pink daisies

Pink daisies, embroidered over the last three evenings. I just liked the simplicity of the design. It’s obviously intended as a border for something like a tray cloth but you won’t find any tray cloths in this household. So, what to do with it? I could turn it into a book marker but mine are now generally of the electronic variety so that’s a no.  If I repeated the pattern several times on either side I could have a large enough piece of embroidered fabric with which to make yet another tissue cover… Any better ideas out there?

pink daisies

 

addendum

I added some more colour to this little landscape by way of flowers. I tried sewing a mouse but it was too small to be recognisable and a snail just looked like a bunch of threads being unravelled. The spider at least looks like a spider, albeit short of a leg or four.

DSCF9183

eek!

This many stitches into the landscape project when……

 

DSCF9108

 

I spotted this little fella hanging off my embroidery frame –

DSCF9107

I’m not sure if he hasn’t moved since because my garlic-laden-prawns-for-lunch breath which blew him into the waste paper basket, has rendered him unconscious!

guilt-free

I’ve spent the past eight days in idleness and it’s been lovely. I haven’t done anything craft related whatsoever and I haven’t felt guilty at all. Shortly before mid-day however, after completing the umpteenth online jigsaw of the morning, I decided it was worth suffering jigsaw cold turkey and get back to sewing again. By this afternoon a small landscape idea was beginning to take shape for which the first step was to paint a semblance of land and sky onto the calico with watercolours. Setting the colours by ironing can wait ’til tomorrow, by which time I may have thought of something better to sew!

DSCF9041

the redhead

I’ve been working on this little redhead for the past couple of days and I really like everything about her – even her outrageous nose!

redhead portrait

trees

It’s been a while since I turned on my sewing machine and I was feeling guilty about that so today I did some free-motion embroidery. Trees were my topic and this is the result of an hour or so using straight and zig-zag stitches across a piece of hooped cotton fabric with a hole cut out. I haven’t stitched over such a large space before without using a stabiliser and it was a little scary to begin with but fun, and the threads didn’t get caught up in each other the way that they can do with stabiliser. I like the skeletal look of the trees early on in the process but I like how they’ve ended up gnarly and a bit twisted and I think I’ll do more of these another day.

 

DSCF7108

 

DSCF7110