a September flower

It’s been a while since I did any free-motion machine embroidery and it’s always fun to do so this afternoon I stitched up a little aster, one of my favourite flowers along with daisies, carnations, and lilac blossom. Strictly speaking, the fabric shouldn’t be wrinkled between the petals but I like the effect.

september flower

off-limits

As from 8am this morning my workroom was off-limits so that repairs can be carried out to the ceiling and walls following water damage in December. This means that JP and I will be sharing the living room during the day for the rest of this week, something we haven’t done since I claimed an empty bedroom for a work room!

Before I emptied the workroom of all things craft related, I made another small scissor fob needlecase, using an isosceles triangle as my template. It will hold several needles but it’s not too big, thick or heavy and an added bonus is that I haven’t lost my scissors once since I began using it on Sunday!

DSCF2094

DSCF2091

 

I finished the Olive project this afternoon. It could be better in some areas (as could the photo) but overall I don’t think my stitching is too bad. Some of the greens look slightly blue in the photograph but in reality they’re fine. The three wired leaves are edged with buttonhole stitch although the latter isn’t easy to see, plus some fiddly needle weaving with single strand embroidery cotton for the flower petals.

DSCF2110

The next project in the book is Chives, and I’ll be starting that as soon as I’ve published this post.  All the embroidery experts recommend using both hands to embroider so I finally succumbed and I ordered an embroidery lap stand yesterday. Will using two hands to sew enable me to double my output speed? Only time and practice (of which there is bound to be plenty) will tell. Lap stand is an oxymoron – it will neither be on my lap nor standing. It has a base board which is designed to be sat upon. The stand I really wanted to buy is waaaaay over my budget at several hundred £s and only available from America and I might be fed up with hand embroidery next week, so I’ve settled for a lighter, smaller, collapsible, and ever so much cheaper model which should be with me in just a day or two. It feels a bit like Christmas!

 

 

2 ongoing wips

This is the bird box yet to be (or not to be). I should have made the interior cardboard box first and then made the fabric outer to size but I frequently do things the hard way and will now have to take the knife to interior box #1 and make it a tad smaller or start again. Embroidered felt birds lightly stuffed with silk fibres from an old quilt. Felt backing. French knots surrounding.

DSCF2038-1

I succeeded in finding a copy of Sachiko Morimoto’s Stumpwork Flowers at my local library last Thursday and by Friday I thought that rather than just drool over the beautiful photographs of her work I should have a go at actually stitching one. Then I decided it might be nice to work through the book so I’ve ordered myself a copy! (All the reviews I’ve read for this book are correct – it’s fabulous and a must-have for anyone who likes to stitch!)
Starting with the first project, Clover, this is what I did yesterday evening. I’ve been buying embroidery threads for over forty years and have an abundant supply of colours so I was surprised when I couldn’t match any of the greens in my boxes to those on Sachiko’s list and since I don’t possess a DMC or Anchor colour chart I’m just going to choose the colours I think closely match what I can see in the photographs – as if some of these projects weren’t challenging enough!

DSCF2043