I have stitched the last stitch, and Painting The Roses Red will now be put away until I get around to having it framed.
I’m still working on the roses piece but can’t seem to take a decent photograph to show where I’m at. When looking for something this morning, I found this fox cub that I embroidered during the summer of 1981. It’s about 16″ x 12″ (41 x 31cm) and I remember that it was a kit but not the company that sold it or even where I bought it. Storing it in various cupboards in several different houses for 36 years without much care has taken a toll on the background fabric which is quite stained in the area above the fox’s back but remarkably the stitching is still completely intact! I doubt I’ll ever have it framed and hanging but I might attempt to clean it. I’ve got nothing to lose.
I’ve been working on this little 7″ x 5″ meadow for several weeks just doing a few stitches at a time as it’s impossible to do much more when you need to read sub-titles on the television but I think it’s done now. Calico for the ground fabric as usual. I mixed acrylic paints with medium to turn them into fabric paints but I’m not sure what benefit if any was gained by doing so. I think the calico would have taken the colour just as easily without the addition of the medium.
I used this excellent free pattern to make a couple of chicks as a start for lots more to use in a future window display and then had a session of just making legs using various wire gauges and construction methods as practice for a much larger bird I had in mind to make. The big bird is not made from fabric and there’s no stitching involved but it’s not quite finished so all you get today is chicks studying the results of the leg making practice.
Humpty Dumpty isn’t quite finished so I thought I’d just show you something I did a long time ago and which hangs on a wall in Big Sis’s home. Nowadays I take photographs of nearly everything that I make but back then it just wasn’t thought of. Not having to consider the cost of film nowadays makes it easy to snap away at will and when I was last in Scotland I realised that I had no other record of this little piece but this is the best image I could get due to the reflections off the glass. It’s approximately A5 size and it’s a mixture of stumpwork, hand embroidery, stiffened fabric leaves and flowers, a little faint colouring on the fabric for sky, and handmade garden tools. It’s based on a black and white illustration in Thomasina Beck’s book, The Embroiderer’s Garden which I bought the same year I did this piece. I’m visiting Big Sis next week so I might try to take a better image of this garden scene but then again, I might be too busy taking pictures of Jasper instead!
…into what I’m currently embroidering in the evenings – Humpty Dumpty shouting in the messenger’s ear, original illustration by Sir John Tenniel for Alice Through the Looking Glass. I’m working my way down from top to bottom and I although I have done more than you can see here, there’s still a fair amount to stitch.
This time it’s flowers, not tea related things. Another pattern (with slight variations) from Erica Kaprow’s Summertime Sampler. All acrylic felt, all hand stitched with only buttonhole and stem stitch. Approximately 13.5″ x 17.5″ and I see another wall hanging in the making. The first picture is a little fuzzy but you get the idea I hope!