Workbox #12 gable end

I thought a climbing plant would be appropriate for one of the gable ends of the Home Sweet Home workbox. I was trying to suggest a Boston Ivy here but it’s taken several hours and much unpicking and restitching to get this far and I’m still not satisfied with it so I think it’s time to cover it up and leave it for a while. The front of the house will be next.

gable end climber

workbox #11 windows pt1

I don’t have enough spare fabric to redo any wall if I mess up the windows so I’m using scraps to practice on. The image shows four different colours of nylon organza because until the frames are embroidered, I can’t tell which colour might be best for the window panes.

The book says to trace the windows onto applique paper and fuse the organza to the ground fabric with it. I was loath to buy a pack of applique paper as I can’t see me ever using it again so my substitute was Heat n Bond Lite. This means I had to draw the window guidelines directly onto the organza itself but a pencil for the lighter three and a UniPin fine liner for the darkest organza seem to show up well enough.

workbox #9 needlebook

I chose a rose for the workbox needlebook front but I haven’t given any thought to what will be embroidered on the back.

workbox #8 pin cushion

I’ve always thought it daft to spend time embroidering a pincushion just to ruin it by sticking pins and needles into it but since a pincushion is included in the Home Sweet Home workbox accessories, I’m making one anyway although I’ve never made one like this before. The intention is that the lesser embroidered side will be the top. I’ve basted the segments but the pincushion has to be put together and stuffed before they’re sewn permanently.

Pincushion from the Home Sweet Home workbox book.

 

 

 

 

workbox #7 tape measure cover 2

This Allium (aka flowering onion) is for the other side of the tape measure cover. The flower heads were embroidered with three or six strands in the needle which meant it only took an afternoon to stitch. I normally embroider with only one strand in the needle and I didn’t think that I’d be happy using six strands, but it was quite liberating. I’m pleasantly surprised with the end result.

workbox #6 tape measure cover

This embroidery for the lid of the tape measure cover measures only approximately 4 cm across and it’s taken me many hours over several days to stitch, longer than I expected it would. I outlined each part with stem stitch then filled them with satin stitch except for the light blue area which is filled with French knots. As an afterthought I used gold around the outer edges to give the medallion a visual lift using stem stitch, with the centre in satin stitch and a single French knots. I had to resort to using my small forceps to pull the needle through. There’s a slightly raised effect which I like although it’s not very obvious from the image. All stitching done with a single strand of DMC embroidery cotton and silk. Glad to be finished with this now and looking forward to starting something else.

workbox #5 scissor fob

Here’s a close-up of the workbox scissor fob embroidery which I did a few weeks ago. As I was editing the image I remembered that there’s supposed to be an embroidered border around both the initial and the flower so I must do that soon before I forget again. When made up, the fob will be approximately 2.5 cm square.