I lost a little interest in this because the cards seemed less challenging than the roses were but I’ve knuckled down this week and one card man is almost finished.
Home again yesterday after three weeks of voluntary maid service to Big Sis following her extremely successful hip replacement operation, and this morning it was strange not to have Jasper greet me with much tail wagging. This was him before he had his coat clipped a few days after I arrived and he seems to be saying “Haircut? What haircut? No-one mentioned a haircut. Is it open to negotiation?”. It wasn’t and he was duly coiffed into a slightly neater version of what he looks like here, but his coat seems to grow so quickly there’s already talk of another trim this weekend.
Sadly, my camera repair is going to cost half as much again as the repair shop assistant suggested it was worth spending on the repair and as I’ve had it six years and camera technology has advanced a little more, I’m looking for a replacement instead. I’ll have to make do with my phone camera for the time being. I just wish I could retain all the phone techy camera stuff I learn from time to time and not have to refer to the internet for refresher lessons each time!
Painting the Roses Red didn’t get stitched at all while I was away except on the journey north, and I haven’t taken any update photos yet. I had also taken some aida fabric and crochet cottons to try blackwork which was a new technique for me. I only had a few colour options but I quite enjoyed the process and found it easier than cross-stitch but doubt that I’ll do much more blackwork in the future. I can’t see myself ever needing a bell-pull or a tray cloth or yet another needle case which were the suggestions in one book.
For a few months now my camera has been showing intermittently that the card is protected although it’s not. My solution was to remove the card and re-insert it but last weekend it showed ‘card protected’ no matter what I tried or which card was inserted. It’s now away for investigation and in the meantime I’ve only got my phone camera or an older camera with batteries that don’t hold the charge for very long so any images here for a while will be even poorer than normal.
The orchard embroidery has been partially unpicked but not re-stitched so far. The absence of any comments on the orchard suggests that anyone who reads this blog agreed with me about the general bleh-ness of the piece and was just too polite to say so. That’s quite alright. I put it to one side while I made more chicks but I didn’t take any more chick pictures before handing them over for the shop window display. The latest ones are almost identical to the first ones anyway so you’re not missing anything by not having a picture to look at today.
I’ll soon be off to Beyond Up North (aka Scotland) and because much of my time there may be spent indoors, I wanted to take a long-term embroidery piece with me so I’ve chosen the John Tenniel illustration Painting the Roses Red from Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. Calico again for the ground fabric (what else!) and some background colouring done with Inktense blocks and wax crayons. After starting to stitch the leaves with satin then fishbone stitch and deciding that neither looked right, I’ve settled for fly stitch.