September flower 2

Here’s another free-motion machine-embroidered flower for September, based on the knapweed flower. As a practice piece after testing different machine settings and stitches, it was extremely useful. One layer of thin poly-cotton fabric was backed with medium weight iron-on dressmaker’s interfacing and then hooped before stitching.  Unfortunately, the wrinkles and puckers worsened as I increased the length of the stems and added a couple of leaves so I unpicked the leaves and shortened the stems but it didn’t satisfactorily cure the puckers. It could have been the stitch length or tension or the direction of the fabric weave or stitches, too thin a fabric, or a multitude of other reasons. Time to consult a book or two.

another flower

yarn-embellished box

A very simple box/tray made today. Poly cotton fabric sandwiching two layers of heavy-duty interfacing then quilted diagonally. Unfortunately it’s not firm enough to keep its shape properly when anything too heavy is placed in it but it was a good exercise in box construction. I made the cord from acrylic yarn in the colours of the fabric and then handstitched it around the top.

DSCF3051-1

Sunday stitches

The tissue holders are now made and I prefer the one with the children on it. I used sew-in interfacing on the blue fabric and lined it with quilting cotton which has given it a little more substance than the birdy one. The birdy version was lined with more of the outer fabric and is much softer. The pouch itself seems a little baggy but if I’d made it any smaller it might have been difficult to put the tissues into it. Because I hadn’t measured exactly where to place the children (duh!), they didn’t match up equally to the edge when folded in so I made that one as an open pouch but I think it’s much better and it shows off the lining nicely.

 

holders

 

The floral panel was made to liven up the front of an otherwise extremely boring lightweight canvas shopper. I ironed freezer paper onto polycotton fabric then cut them to A4 size before printing the design in greyscale. I stitched it to a larger piece of identical fabric so that there would always be fabric in the hoop as I moved it around when free-motion embroidering. Trimmed to size when finished and edged with some satin ribbon. Something to do on a wet and windy Easter Sunday!

DSCF4132

another detour!

I had my cup of tea but didn’t made the tissue holder. I did cut out the lining though and then decided to stitch on that too so I guess I’ll have to make two tissue holders tomorrow.

children

muzzled parrot

I’ve spent more time free-motion machine embroidering today and my machine behaved itself beautifully. Dropping the feed dogs on the machine is usually recommended for free-motion stitching but I seem to have fewer problems if I leave the feed dogs up which is what I did here. The fabric is very thin poly-cotton fabric and I didn’t bother to back it with anything, just put a single layer in a flexible hoop before I began sewing. The parrot wearing the muzzle was a test piece and measures approximately 6 x 10 cm. I didn’t intend to stitch a muzzle but that’s what it looks like to me! The birds on the branches will face each other when this piece is made into a tissue holder which is what I plan to sew after my next cup of tea!

DSCF4114

DSCF4111