workbox #9 needlecase back

Today is the first day in almost a week that I’ve been able to access any embroidery as all the contents of my workroom had to be stored in another room while some major re-plastering followed by re-decoration was done. The workmen will be back again after the Easter break but I have been able to move most of my craft and sewing supplies back into my workroom and finished this imperfectly shaped and hitherto unknown species of blue flower which will be on the back of the needlecase.

workbox #9 needlebook

I chose a rose for the workbox needlebook front but I haven’t given any thought to what will be embroidered on the back.

2nd last course sample

This sample was for the module on hand stitch appliqué in which we develop patterns. I posted this to the Facebook group page earlier this week but I’ve only just realised that I fused the shapes to the background fabric instead of hand stitching them. Just as well there is no pass or fail for this course! Only one more sample to make before all the modules are complete.

applique portrait pt2

Gosh, this course module class seems to have taken the longest time to do but I’m happy with the end result. Stitches used were back stitch and straight stitch, with buttonhole stitch only to appliqué the red pinafore because the wool cloth frayed badly.  I re-stitched all the face in a brown thread, finer than the black I’d used when stitching through the tissue paper (see previous post) and the lighter thread colour and closer stitching enabled me to put in more detail. I have to confess that I’ve given my mother brown eyes here instead of the blue that they really were but if I hadn’t told you, you’d never have known. Call it artist licence. Size is approx 12 x 17 cm. I’m off now to write up my notes for this module, put this little portrait with my other samples, and then have a look to see what’s next on Sue Stone’s online course which is almost at an end!

trees

It’s been a while since I turned on my sewing machine and I was feeling guilty about that so today I did some free-motion embroidery. Trees were my topic and this is the result of an hour or so using straight and zig-zag stitches across a piece of hooped cotton fabric with a hole cut out. I haven’t stitched over such a large space before without using a stabiliser and it was a little scary to begin with but fun, and the threads didn’t get caught up in each other the way that they can do with stabiliser. I like the skeletal look of the trees early on in the process but I like how they’ve ended up gnarly and a bit twisted and I think I’ll do more of these another day.

 

DSCF7108

 

DSCF7110

stitching bricks

These little buildings are the result of many hours stitching during a two week visit with Big Sis. I travelled home on Wednesday but didn’t make a single stitch on another piece during the long journey or since then. I have a cold and an irritating cough which have been depriving me of decent sleep since Tuesday and I just haven’t had the energy to concentrate on stitching. Maybe next week.
The buildings each took between twenty and thirty hours to stitch and no bigger than 3″ x 3″.

DSCF6003

DSCF6001

DSCF6004

DSCF6005

 

The last one

Pennyroyal is the last of nineteen projects from Sachiko Morimoto’s book Stumpwork Flowers that I’ve been stitching my way through for the past seven weeks. The remaining projects are just variations on some of the nineteen to make things that I have no use for, so I’m done with plants and flowers and herbs and weeds of a stitchy kind. I could have a rest from sewing this evening but embroidering stops me from dozing off in front of the television so I might even make a start on something completely different.

 

DSCF4028