At last, the box is finished and the construction of it was more challenging than the embroidery. It’s taken me several hours every day for a week to put it together and add feet and a padded lining. More than once I had to unpick stitching and start again when things didn’t line up as I thought they should have, or wait until the blood stopped flowing after I’d pricked my finger yet again with the point or eye of the curved needle. I used Jane Lemon’s Embroidered Boxes book for the basic box construction but after countless failed attempts to get the lid to lie flat after employing her hinged lid method, I resorted to a method of my own devising which was more successful.
While making this box I realised the following: the more I sew, the more interested I am in achieving a higher standard of work than I am in reaching the finish line; that I really enjoy making three dimensional items; that being able to use a curved needle is challenging but not as difficult to do as I once thought; and that using my own solution to a problem can be very satisfying.
The completed box is approximately 15 cm wide, 10 cm deep, and 11.5 cm high. As usual, apologies for the poor lighting in the images!