at the finish line

This is the last of the fabric bowls which you’ve not seen together with some tissue holders which I made last weekend and which will also go for sale. I’m so pleased I don’t do this for a living.

blue white lidded pot

tissue holders

red poppies

I like poppies and today I sewed two versions. I fused some red cotton to Bondaweb then cut out some poppy shapes, bonded the flowers to black linen then free-motion embroidered them before quilting the background with small circles. The other version is just free-motion machine embroidery on the same red cotton.

I know someone else who likes poppies and the next time I see her, she’ll be offered one of these tissue holders. My poppies may not be considered as authentic but I’m sure she won’t mind.

DSCF2048-1

DSCF2049-1

new pockets

I was playing around with more free-motion machine embroidery yesterday but instead of just tossing the samples into a folder, I used them this afternoon to make two more tissue pockets. This evening I’ll be doing more shading practice before I attempt to hand embroider a flower or two from Trish Burr’s book, Needle Painting Embroidery.

DSCF5027

Sunday stitches

The tissue holders are now made and I prefer the one with the children on it. I used sew-in interfacing on the blue fabric and lined it with quilting cotton which has given it a little more substance than the birdy one. The birdy version was lined with more of the outer fabric and is much softer. The pouch itself seems a little baggy but if I’d made it any smaller it might have been difficult to put the tissues into it. Because I hadn’t measured exactly where to place the children (duh!), they didn’t match up equally to the edge when folded in so I made that one as an open pouch but I think it’s much better and it shows off the lining nicely.

 

holders

 

The floral panel was made to liven up the front of an otherwise extremely boring lightweight canvas shopper. I ironed freezer paper onto polycotton fabric then cut them to A4 size before printing the design in greyscale. I stitched it to a larger piece of identical fabric so that there would always be fabric in the hoop as I moved it around when free-motion embroidering. Trimmed to size when finished and edged with some satin ribbon. Something to do on a wet and windy Easter Sunday!

DSCF4132

another detour!

I had my cup of tea but didn’t made the tissue holder. I did cut out the lining though and then decided to stitch on that too so I guess I’ll have to make two tissue holders tomorrow.

children

muzzled parrot

I’ve spent more time free-motion machine embroidering today and my machine behaved itself beautifully. Dropping the feed dogs on the machine is usually recommended for free-motion stitching but I seem to have fewer problems if I leave the feed dogs up which is what I did here. The fabric is very thin poly-cotton fabric and I didn’t bother to back it with anything, just put a single layer in a flexible hoop before I began sewing. The parrot wearing the muzzle was a test piece and measures approximately 6 x 10 cm. I didn’t intend to stitch a muzzle but that’s what it looks like to me! The birds on the branches will face each other when this piece is made into a tissue holder which is what I plan to sew after my next cup of tea!

DSCF4114

DSCF4111

detour

There are several things that I ought to be sewing/finishing this week but I took a small detour yesterday to do these birdy bits instead because I haven’t done any free-motion embroidery for a while and I had withdrawal symptoms.

The first one was made into a pocket tissue holder but I’m not happy with the finished product so I’ll cut it up and do something else with it. The caged bird is 6 x 5cm. The bird on the felt scrap is 3cm from tail-tip to beak and I like it best of all. Perhaps he’ll be made into a brooch. Perhaps he’ll just end up in the folder with all the other bits and pieces I sew. All free-motion machine embroidered.

DSCF4096

DSCF4098

DSCF4100