some of this, some of that

On Tuesday I set up my machine for some thread painting with the thought of making a short video of the process because I’ve seen so many sewing demos online and thought it couldn’t be too difficult. Ha! The lighting wasn’t quite right so the stitching didn’t show up clearly on playback (although my hands didn’t look too bad) and if the camera got knocked it sounded like a volcano erupting. Finding the ideal camera position was difficult and the lack of a zoom facility didn’t help although how I might have operated that as well as moving the fabric is still a quandry. How do others do this so successfully? Perhaps there’s just a lot of deft editing or they have someone else doing the filming or they use a camera more suitable than my webcam (which is tethered to my pc with a not-as-long-as-I’d-like-it-to-be cable). Frustratingly, I couldn’t find anything online that might explain how I could do it better so it might take a lot longer to win that oscar!

This is what was stitched during the filming and it’s obvious that I had no clear stitching plan in mind before I began. I used a layer of pelmet interfacing which had been painted with poster paints and sprinkled with salt crystals before the surface dried to give that mottled effect on the right. (I’m still finding salt on the work bench several days later.) I backed the interfacing with batting and a layer of cotton but I needn’t have done as it’s easy to thread paint on a single layer of the interfacing.

fme doodles

Yesterday I did some leaf prints on a scrap of thick canvas-type fabric and on the remaining coloured interfacing (which hadn’t been layered with anything else). I’d gathered leaves weeks ago and I wish I could now remember what I rubbed on them in an attempt to preserve them because it was quite successful! I do know that I subsequently ironed two of them between sheets of kitchen paper and those were the leaves I used for the print attempts as well as a leaf shape cut from flexible fabric in my craft supplies (there, because it hadn’t lived up to its original description as being suitable to prevent rug-creep). The backs of the leaves were rubbed with the flat side of an Inktense block and then placed upside down and the image transferred to damp interfacing/fabric with a brayer.  On dry fabric/interfacing I very lightly sprayed the coloured leaves with water before transferring. I think the interfacing as a background worked best of all because it’s quite rigid. The larger leaf stood up well to use and I think I could probably take further prints before it finally disintegrates.

leaf print

the first of many?

My first tatted ring! I wasn’t able to buy a tatting needle yesterday but today I came across a tatting help sheet on the internet showing a tunisian crochet hook being used, so I tried that and I could put the stitches on okay but I couldn’t ‘crochet’ them off to make a basic ring. Then I remembered I had something that was close in form to a tatting needle inasmuch as it has an eye at one end and is consistent in diameter the whole length but minus the hook at the other end. I’ve no idea how or why I acquired it or what it was designed for but I tried it out and hey presto! I’ve got me a tatted ring! The cotton I used is what I bought to tie up joints of meat so it’s not what’s normally recommended for tatting but for practising, it’ll do just fine.




If you know what this metal rod thingy is meant to be used for, please let me know!




I watched a video through a mirror this morning so that I could better follow the instructions as a left-handed tatter and suddenly I wasn’t getting tied up in knots. Well, not quite so many granny ones as when I tried the right-handed way. Strangely, I crochet as a right handed person because that’s how big sis taught me and it feels right so it’s never really occurred to me to learn to do it left-handed.




this is so clever

I’ve seen many ways to separate eggs but never this one – it’s brilliantly simple!  I can’t wait to try it.

The video is today’s blog post from

If the video won’t play, this is the how to: Crack an egg into a dish and using a clean empty plastic juice bottle, squeeze the bottle slightly to expel some air and then place the opening over the egg yoke. Slacken your grip on the bottle and the yoke will be drawn up into the bottle. Hold the bottle over another dish and squeeze the bottle once more to push the yoke out.